Losing weight can be easy!
Increasing awareness on health and nutrition prompts people to try different diets that may eventually harm the body. If you are tired of trying so many fad diets, here are some easy ways of losing weight:
- Take time to enjoy every bite of your meal. Eat small portions of fat and carbohydrate-rich meals. By eating slowly and consuming moderate amounts of fat, the body has a chance to become full and satisfied on smaller portions. Enjoyment and satisfaction have more to do with the amount of time you spend on the meal than the raw amount of food you eat.
- Meals should be savored, enjoyed and appreciated. Eating too quickly makes you fat for two reasons: 1) the “full signal” is delayed, and 2) your appetite keeps adapting to the larger amounts you eat.
- Put less food on your plate. Take smaller bites. Put the spoon and fork down in between each bite. Chew slowly and savor each bite. Love your food. Do this and you will eat smaller portions and feel satisfied.
- Eat meat. Choose fish first, then chicken, lean pork and red meat last.
- Enjoy fresh vegetables and fruits as well as nuts and legumes. When you eat vegetables and fruits, you will be less likely to overeat because these are considered complex carbohydrates which are absorbed slower by the body.
Avoid trying to count every carbohydrate and every calorie in losing weight. Moderation is the key in any weight reduction plan or program. The Nutritional Guidelines for Filipinos developed by the Technical Working Group led by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute of the Department of Science and Technology (FNRI-DOST) recommends that eating the right kind and amount of food, together with regular exercise is still the best way to reach optimum nutrition and having a healthy lifestyle.
Weight reduction can be an easy task if coupled with commitment, dedication and hardwork.
For more information on food and nutrition, contact: Dr. Mario V. Capanzana, Director, Food and Nutrition Research Institute - Department of Science and Technology , Bicutan, Taguig City; Telephone Nos. 837-31-64 or 837-20-71 local 2287; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; FNRI-DOST website: www.fnri.dost.gov.ph
FNRI-DOST S & T Media Service
Catherine Rose P. Josue