Healthy New Year Resolutions
Let’s face it: packing in a few extra pounds over the Christmas season is inevitable. The holidays can erase the gains you’ve had from your keep–fit, keep-trim and keep-healthy regimen. Here are some ways to get back to your pre-holiday figure without resorting to crash diets or marathon exercise weekends.
Let's face it: packing in a few extra pounds over the Christmas season is inevitable. The holidays can erase the gains you've had from your keep–fit, keep-trim and keep-healthy regimen. Here are some ways to get back to your pre-holiday figure without resorting to crash diets or marathon exercise weekends. Just follow these time-proven techniques.
Working It Out by Starting Small
- Park far from the office or mall entrance. You'll burn extra calories going to and from your car.
- Take the stairs. Just think how often you take the elevator when you could be burning fat and toning your legs.
- Walk to lunch. If you eat at your desk, eat first, then walk it off for 10-15 minutes.
- Housecleaning can be fun. Turn it into aerobic dancing by listening to tempo music and vacuuming to the beat.
The next time you eat out…
- Drink water before a meal. Order a bottle of NESTLÉ Pure Life and drink it right away. By the time the main course arrives, you won't be as hungry anymore.
- Share dessert. If you crave for chocolate cake, split it with your dinner partners. Better still, let them take the lion's share of it.
- Select a non-fried appetizer as your main meal. Go for lean meats, fish or poultry prepared by roasting, poaching or broiling.
- Pick child-size portions or petite cuts or ask your server for a half order of the menu item.
- For added flavor, blanch vegetables with MAGGI Magic Sarap instead of sautéing in fat.
- Limit your use of mayonnaise on salad dressings. Choose lower-fat versions of food like NESTLÉ Low-Fat Milk, NESTLÉ Light and Creamy Ice Cream, NESTLÉ 0% Fat Yogurt, and NESTLÉ Cottage Cheese.
- Try to have at least three meals with fish a week. Grilled fish or a tuna salad can taste really good with the right flavoring! Limit buying sausages, pies and cold cuts because these are usually loaded with fat.
Choose high fiber foods
- Eat fruits and vegetables whenever you can, preferably raw and unpeeled
- Change from white to whole wheat, brown or multi-grain bread and eat high fiber cereals for breakfast such as NESTLÉ Fitnesse.