The Benefits of Good Bacteria
In recent years, the increasing awareness on the relationship between health and diet has also led to a growing demand for food products that promote health beyond supplying basic nutrition.
In recent years, the increasing awareness on the relationship between health and diet has also led to a growing demand for food products that promote health beyond supplying basic nutrition. Two of the components that are present in foods, or that can be incorporated into foods, are prebiotics and probiotics. Both yield health benefits when they interact with the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Probiotic microorganisms like BIFIDUS are actually bacteria and yeasts that have been used for thousands of years to ferment food such as yogurts and other cultured dairy products.
According to Nestlé clinical studies, BIFIDUS has many health benefits which include:
- Restoration of the natural balance of healthy bacteria
- Reduction of risks of stomach and gut infections
- Support or stimulation of the immune system
- Prevention of stomach problems such as gastritis and ulcers
Prebiotics, on the other hand, are found naturally in many foods but can also be isolated from plants or synthesized. The International Food Information Council maintains that in order for a food ingredient to be classified as a prebiotic, it has to be proven that it:
- Is not broken down in the stomach or absorbed in the GI tract
- Is fermented by the GI microflora
- Selectively stimulates the growth or activity of intestinal bacteria that are associated with health and wellbeing
Let kids benefit from two kinds of prebiotics:
- PREBIO 1 helps maintain a healthy gut by reducing the negative effects of harmful bacteria in the digestive system as well as preventing constipation by improving a child's bowel regularity and stool quality. PREBIO 1 contains Inulin (30%) & FOS (70%) which are two types of dietary fibers that are used as food by the probiotics (Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus).
- PREBIO 3 contains higher levels of proteins, calcium and essential fatty acids (LA and ALA). All these help support the overall growth and development of children. They also promote the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria aside from improving bowel function and preventing constipation. PREBIO 3 further ensures the supply of essential fatty acids needed for the development of the nervous system, including the brain, and helps build stronger bones.
Synbiotics happen when probiotics are taken together with prebiotics, which support the probiotic's growth. Both of these work in a synergistic way to more efficiently promote the probiotics' benefits.